Bill Granger's Peach and Raspberry Slice

I've been meaning to make this recipe for quite some years time now.  I first saw Bill make it on one of his TV shows and went out to buy the book, especially for the recipe.  The book then ended up on the book shelf, occasionally removed from its perch so I can leaf through the pages.  I've even made one or two of the recipes, but I never quite got around to making the Peach and Raspberry Slice.  That was until last weekend ;0)


Bill Granger's Peach and Raspberry Slice
185g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder, plus 1/2 tsp extra
125g butter, chilled and diced
115g soft brown sugar
115g caster sugar
3 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced into wedges
90g raspberries, fresh or frozen
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
185ml milk

Preheat the oven to 180C.  Grease and line the base of a 20cm x 30cm baking tray.  Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and then rub in the butter with your fingertips.  Stir in both the sugars.  Press half the mixture over the base of the tin.  Lay the peaches over the top and sprinkle with raspberries.

Add the vanilla extract, extra baking powder, egg and milk to the rest of the base mixture and stir well - don't worry too much about lumps.  Pour evenly over the top of the peaches and raspberries and bake for 1 hour.  Cool in the tray, then cut into squares to serve.

Makes 20 pieces
Bill Granger - Everyday

* To peel the peaches, score a cross in the skin with a sharp knife, then blanch the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds, refresh in cold water and peel the skin away from the cross.

I was expecting this slice to be worth the wait, and in hindsight there were maybe one or two things I could have done differently to enhance the final product.  I could have made the slice when peaches were in season and slightly riper than the rock like beasts I ended up using.  I believe using the right sized tin may have also helped the cause a little!  This is not to say that the slice was a complete disaster, its still pretty yummy and goes down very well with some ice cream, it just didn't quite live up to my expectations.  Guess I'll just need to wait till 'next summer' (!!!!) when the peaches are at their peak!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this today, after seeing him make it on TV a while ago. And the same as you, found it didn't live up to expectations. The base was too thin and the topping just blah. It still got eaten as its sweet but not a recipe I would make again.

Save Bill Granger's Peach and Raspberry Slice on social network:

Followers

Archive