Japanese Flag Cake

This is my latest cake creation, order by somebody in the building I work in. 


The original order seemed very straight forward, a cake made to look like the Japanese Flag but big enough to feed 20 people.  No worries, I pictured a rectangle cake covered in white fondant with a red circle in the centre ... dare I even say 'easy'!  Oh yes - I said the word 'easy' which is naturally where this tale takes its downward spiral!  No, the client didn't want the ordinary Japanese Flag, they wanted the Rising Sun, the off-centre-circle-with-16-rays-extending-from-it Japanese Flag. 'Easy' went out the window (along with one of the rays, eagle eyed readers will note there are only 15 rays - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)


I made the cakes, I sandwiched them with raspberry jam and butter cream.  I covered the cake board and the cakes and Hubby made the template for the rising sun (Go Team Teapot!).  It was on my third attempt of cutting out the red fondant that I could be heard to utter "Why don't more people order cupcakes!"


Perseverance paid off, and the finished cake does at least resemble the flag in question, although its not my finest cake decorating accomplishment so far.  Please God, may my next order be cupcakes ;0)
Save Japanese Flag Cake on social network:

Followers

Archive