All In White Whoopie Pies



When it comes to the new Whoopie Pie craze I concluded that I had resisted long enough.  As much as my loyalties lie with cupcakes I kinda felt it was time I should make an informed decision.  Cleverly disguised as part of Hubby's anniversary present I have ventured into the world of Whoopie Pies and .... I think I really like them!  OK, I'll admit these guys are a little on the 'rustic' side of pretty but as far as taste goes I was pretty impressed and Hubby loves them.  I expected them to be more cake like but they are more of a cross between a cake and a sweet soft biscuit with a very definite sugar rush.  And as far as presentation goes then I reckon practice will make perfect!


I have done a bit of research on the Whoopie Pie phenomenon and apart from reading the usual facts and figures, made by the Amish from leftover cake batter and when the lucky recipients opened their lunchboxes they exclaimed 'Whoopie!' I also found that they are traditionally made with vegetable fat.  This put me off a bit.  I'd rather eat a block of butter than a block of vegetable fat any old day!  When Dan Lepard's recipe for Whoopie Pies appeared in last months Sainsbury's Magazine vegetable fat free things were looking up.


All In White Whoopie Pies
The Vanilla Whoopie
75g unsalted butter
1 large egg
150g caster sugar
125g soured cream
25ml cold milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
275g plain flour
The Marshmallow Cream
100g mini or regular white marshmallows
50ml milk
125g very soft unsalted butter
The Icing
200g icing sugar
Sugar balls, or sprinkles, to decorate

Line a large baking tray with non stick baking paper and preheated the oven to 180C.


Melt the 75g of butter and set aside.  Using an electric hand mixer, whisk the egg until light and fluffy.  Beat in the sugar, a third at a time, until thick and glossy.


Beat in the melted butter, soured cream, milk and vanilla.  Sift the bicarbonate of soda and flour into the bowl and beat until smooth.  Using a wide piping nozzle or spoon, pipe or spoon the mixture on to the tray in small walnut sized balls, 3-4cm apart.  You'll need to bake in batches.


Bake for 13-14 mins until almost evenly golden on top.  Leave to cool for a few mins, then transfer to a cooling rack and bake the remaining mixture.


For the cream, heat the marshmallows and milk in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring until smooth, then cool.  Beat the butter until creamy and soft then gradually beat into the marshmallow cream.


For the icing, mix the icing sugar with 2-3 tbsp of cold water.  Spread a little on each whoopie.  Decorate with mimosa balls and leave to set.  They will keep for up to 6 hours once filled and iced.


Makes 28 individual whoopies or 14 sandwich whoopies
Dan Lepard, Sainsbury's Mag, June 10

Dan has noted that the cakes can be made up to 2 days ahead or can be frozen (unfilled).  I also popped over to his website and he has a slightly different recipe for a Marshmallow Buttercream that I would quite like to try.  The magazine has quite a few variations to the basic recipe that I can't wait to try, first on the list is the Passionfruit Whoopie. 


I used a small-ish ice cream scoop to measure the mixture out onto the trays.  Even with this though I still ended up with sizes ranging from extra large to petit.  Next time I'll try piping the mixture.
Save All In White Whoopie Pies on social network:

Followers

Archive