Blueberry Cream Cheese Strudel

     I mentioned earlier in the week that our weekend was filled with a lot of company. I've been waiting all this week, so that I could post this sweet on Friday. It is probably my favorite easy thing to make. Ever. We had about half leftover when another friend came to keep me company during poker night. The two of us finished it off. Every last bite! I didn't even feel that guilty about it, since it was made with relatively healthy ingredients...healthy as far as desserts go I guess.
     The reason I picked this recipe for our company is that our friend does not really eat desserts. I figured blueberries and bread was a compromise between a sweet dessert and a pastry. It was a big hit! I think you could eat this for breakfast, too. I would probably eat it any time of day.
      By the way, have you tried agave nectar as a natural sugar substitute? I've been toying around with this a little bit, and I'm really getting into this stuff. It's a little like honey, without the aftertaste, and since it's natural there you don't have to worry about weird chemicals in your food.
     This has been slightly adapted from The Biggest Loser Dessert Cookbook. This is one of my new favorites. It has a lot of fruit filled, low sugar desserts. Stay tuned later this week for a peanut butter fudge muffin recipe from the book!

2 cups blueberries (I used frozen, since they are out of season)
1 Tbl agave nectar
1 Tbl cornstarch
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbl brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1-lb pizza dough (I actually used 13oz because that's all I could find)
1/2 c cream cheese (I used neufchatel)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl + 1 tsp agave nectar
  • Preheat oven to 400*. Line 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
  • Cook blueberries, agave, cornstarch, and lemon juice until cornstarch is dissolved and thickens. Cool.
  • While you are waiting, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of this mixture down the center of your prepared 9x13 pan.
  • Stretch pizza dough into a rectangle. Press into pan, stretching all the way to edges.
  • In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, vanilla, and agave until smooth. 
  • Spread cream cheese mixture lengthwise down the center of the dough. Top with blueberry mixture, making sure the berries cover the cream cheese. 
  • Fold sides of dough over filling, leaving about 2 inches of blueberries exposed in the middle. 
  • Pinch ends so the filling won't come out.
  • Brush with egg and sprinkle crust with remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture.
  • Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
This is linked up with:
Sweet Tooth Friday by All N' Son
and
 Sweets for Saturday by Sweet as Sugar Cookies
    Save Blueberry Cream Cheese Strudel on social network:

    Followers

    Archive